Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Dr. Google: Possible reasons for low white blood cell count and and bruising easily?

While shopping for a dress yesterday I noticed a large bruise on my leg.  I do not even remember how I got it.  Then that made me ask "Doctor Google" what could make me bruise so easily and potentially be a cause for a low white blood cell count at the same time.  The potential reasons were many:
  • Chediak-Higashi syndrome
  • Hairy cell leukemia
  • Hypersplenism
  • Lupus
The first is a rare inherited immune condition so unlikely.  Hairy cell leukemia also comes with other symptoms like fever, weight loss, weakness, abdominal discomfort, so probably not the case.  Hypersplenism?  Well that could be due to beta thalassemia (inherited blood condition), chronic lymphocytic leukemia, malaria, TB, renal dialysis ... probably not... and also possibly due to rheumatoid disease (another name for rheumatoid arthritis?), connective tissue diseases, and inflammatory disease.  Lupus is probably not the case since the ANA test was negative.  Perhaps chronic gout could be the culprit, but the uric acid was normal.  For gout to be uncontrolled, the uric acid needs to be elevated enough to trigger the immune inflammatory response.  Gout is an inflammatory disease but so is rheumatoid arthritis.  There apparently is also a type of RA that would yield a negative result on the rheumatoid factor test and possibly the ANA test.  Most have positive RF so RA is possible but not likely at this point.  Psoriatic arthritis and ankylosing spondylitis could yield negative results on both the ANA and RF tests. 

Time will tell what the issue is, but it looks like some sort of inflammatory rheumatic condition that is slowly progressing.  And my spleen may not be so happy. Right now, I feel the best I have in weeks.  This week, my joints are not as sore and my fingers and thumbs not as stiff in the morning.  I still have the bursitis but went shopping for more than 2 hours yesterday and forgot I had it.  I wonder if this is what people call "remission".    

No comments:

Post a Comment

SI Joint Pain and Bursitis in both Hips

It looks like 23andme does not test for enough markers relating to psoriatic arthritis and ankylosing spondylitis.  I recently developed wha...