Thursday, January 4, 2018

No Flu? Genetic Resistance SNP

Sometimes I'm not as organized as I should be.  I remember seeing a rather uncommon SNP in my genome that would indicate some resistance to getting the flu.  But cannot locate it again for the life of me.  My daughter and I visited my grandmother last week.  There was sign on the front entrance of the nursing home warning that many people had the flu.  Since I could not see my grandmother Christmas weekend I felt like I could not back out from seeing her.  The flu warning was going to be lifted the next day.  She was coughing a little and several nurses and residents were wearing face masks in the nursing home.  A few days later I noticed that one lymph node was swollen.  Then it felt completely better a few days after that.  My daughter was coughing only a little.  I had medicine on hand in case she got sick.  So far, neither of us got sick.  Grandmother has since developed the full blown flu and put on flu medicine.  I hope she gets to feeling better quick and gets a break from having the cold and/or flu for a while.  And I hope to let you know what that SNP is soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

SI Joint Pain and Bursitis in both Hips

It looks like 23andme does not test for enough markers relating to psoriatic arthritis and ankylosing spondylitis.  I recently developed wha...