Monday, February 26, 2018

Pre-Doctor's Appointment Fussing

Typically I try to avoid fussing, but since it is not an uncommon occurrence for people suffering with "hard to see" illnesses to struggle with people not believing them I am fussing now.  I specifically requested a uric acid test before getting blood drawn last week.  However, there were no uric acid results in the lab results I looked at yesterday.  I'm miffed.  Perhaps she wanted to do a general physical first, but the whole point of seeing the doctor was to get an accurate measurement of my uric acid level.  I suspect she blew off my concerns and did not order the uric acid test.  I  know I'm not the typical gout patient, but I'm not imagining my joint pain.  There are not a whole lot of diseases that can be confused with gout.  This very morning, I had sharp pain in my right hip area and it hurt when I sat a certain way.  As usual, there is tingling in my big toe.  Perhaps she'll only order the uric acid test after my appointment today, the online platform only shows some lab results, she blew me off, or some other reason.  We'll see this afternoon! 

My labs did not show anything too odd, except perhaps, a low white blood cell count.  I really want that uric acid level measured because that would determine how aggressively I need to control it with diet and if my only hope of not being disabled in the near future is to be on pharmaceuticals.  If I understand it correctly, a uric acid level above 7 mg/dL is high.  6-7 mg/dL is not that great and people can still develop tophaceous gout.  Some people can develop chronic tophaceous gout with 5-6 mg/dL.  If my level is 7-8 mg/dl, I may have a chance at controlling it with diet alone.  If it is higher than 8 mg/dL I probably have to be on pharmaceuticals in order to halt the progression. 

If my doctor really did blow me off, I may need to purchase a more expensive home uric acid monitor.  There is one that measures uric acid, cholesterol, and glucose.  The components may be available to pickup in my area so the odds of the test strips being defective may be reduced.  I would not have to worry about shipping damaging the test strips.

On a practical note, it would help with planning to know approximately how long I have until I am struggling with the debilitating stage of the disease.  It is my goal to start a home based business and grow my family simultaneously.  There are a lot of businesses I probably should not be involved in due to the disease.

I already struggle with the following activities:

Standing for more than a few hours per day - My right hip gets sore, I start limping, and sometimes get sharp pain.  If I do a lot of standing my left hip starts hurting.  One time I got all around joint pain from standing all day, even in my fingers and elbows.  Other times I take a step and my right hip gives out.

Working with my hands - My right thumb starts throbbing and gets so stiff I cannot bend it all the way.  One time it was hard to pick up my baby.

There goes the idea of processing a lot of produce to make value added products to sell.  There goes the idea of selling crafts on Etsy.  There goes the idea of getting a part time job that requires a lot of standing.  I'm really only fit for desk work.  I was once a civil engineer in training, which is a desk job.  Perhaps I need to pass the Professional Engineering exam and get that license since is one of the few jobs I could still do now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

SI Joint Pain and Bursitis in both Hips

It looks like 23andme does not test for enough markers relating to psoriatic arthritis and ankylosing spondylitis.  I recently developed wha...